The UNESCO-UNEVOC International Centre
The UNESCO-UNEVOC International Centre has a broad remit covering various aspects of the UNESCO Programme for TVET in the context of the International TVET agenda. Its mission is to assist Member States to strengthen and upgrade TVET systems and to promote the greater availability of skills development options, thereby following international norms, in particular UNESCO norms and standards in the area of TVET. The UNESCO–UNEVOC International Centre employs various strategies to realize its mission.
As the hub of the UNEVOC Network, the UNESCO-UNEVOC International Centre provides leadership and coordinates the Network activities in relation with international goals (UNESCO TVET Strategy, EFA, MDGs). The International Centre acts as a catalyst without taking over the sole ownership of responsibilities. The International Centre focuses on development work and advocacy. Its primary task is to support the Network, to ensure the Network promotes UNESCO Goals and TVET Strategy, to ensure International Centre activities focus on the Network and to respond to the needs of UNEVOC Centres. The International Centre thus organizes activities in conjunction with UNESCO Regional/Field Offices in line with national/regional priorities and the UNESCO TVET strategy and shares its strategies and annual activities with the National Centres. This is done through constant communication with the Centres on their priorities and plans.
The role of the International Centre is to:
- Provide leadership and coordinate the UNEVOC Network activities in relation with the International TVET Agenda, in line with UNESCO TVET Strategy, EFA and MDG goals.
- Act as a catalyst, facilitator and to be the Hub of the UNEVOC Network activities worldwide.
- Promote knowledge management, knowledge sharing, and resource development and perform a clearinghouse function for TVET with the active engagement of the UNEVOC Centres and development partners.
- Facilitate cooperation and communication between UNEVOC Centres and UNESCO regional and field offices, National Commissions and development partners.
- Organize inter-regional, regional and national collaboration within the UNEVOC Network to scale up South-South and North-South dialogue.
- Assist UNEVOC Centres in developing their institutional capacity
- Enhance international cooperation and providing a platform for interagency cooperation.
- Share good and innovative practices and inform the global debate on emerging trends in TVET.
- Maintain and administer the Network membership and directory.
- To promote the expansion of the Network.
Back to top