|UNEVOC Cluster: Mashreq States|
|UNEVOC Network Member since: 1994|
|UNESCO Institute for Statistics|
> Education Statistics
> Field Office(s) & Resources
Welcome to the page of
Ministry of Manpower, Directorate of Curricula
The Ministry of Manpower currently runs 4 Vocational Training Centres and 5 Technical Colleges. The Centres deliver vocational programmes on the semi-skilled and skilled levels. The Colleges target the highly-skilled technician level, running post-secondary... <show more>
The Ministry of Manpower currently runs 4 Vocational Training Centres and 5 Technical Colleges. The Centres deliver vocational programmes on the semi-skilled and skilled levels. The Colleges target the highly-skilled technician level, running post-secondary programmes only.
The vision of the Directorate General of Vocational Training is to become the main pillar which contributes to the preparation of national manpower, by training and qualifying them in various occupational areas. The vocational training centers and... <show more>
The vision of the Directorate General of Vocational Training is to become the main pillar which contributes to the preparation of national manpower, by training and qualifying them in various occupational areas. The vocational training centers and fisheries training institutes are a cornerstone in building skills and finely tune them, to help build the Omani cadres, achieve the desired developmental goals and enhance the policies of replacing expatriate workers by qualified Omanis in specialist occupations required by the labor market.
Vocational training is a main tributary in increasing development rates, provide nationals with more job opportunities, avail means of a noble life to citizens and upgrade levels of economic growth and education, to achieve the developmental objectives.
The Ministry of Manpower has been endorsed by the Omani government to implement planning and delivery of vocational training and technical education programmes.
Firstly: Centers and Institutes Technical Support Department
This department is concerned with meeting the requirements of centers and institutes affiliated to the Directorate for administrative and technical support, materialist and human... <show more>
Firstly: Centers and Institutes Technical Support Department
This department is concerned with meeting the requirements of centers and institutes affiliated to the Directorate for administrative and technical support, materialist and human needs, in coordination with the concerned authorities at the Ministry, through its affiliated sections (educational aids production and library section- centers and institutes requirements section & occupational contests section).
Tasks of the Technical Support Department of the Centers and Institutes:
1. Conduct detailed studies of the financial, administrative and technical needs of the centers and institutes.
2. Follow up the implementation of operational and developmental plans, projects and programs of the centers and institutes.
3. Prepare the annual plan and estimated budget of educational means and coordinate on it with the concerned authorities.
4. Avail audio-visual aids and reading materials relating to study and training programs fields and the available job opportunities at the centers and institutes.
5. Develop information and networking system at the centers and institutes.
6. Prepare statistics and data about current and future projects.
7. Coordinate with centers and institutes on developmental works and the maintenance of establishments, buildings, facilities, equipment and appliances.
8. Follow up and coordinate with centers and institutes on training quality assurance.
9. Identify the actual materialist and human needs of centers and institutes and work towards availing them, in coordination with the concerned authorities at the Ministry.
Secondly: Vocational Guidance Department
The vocational guidance department represents a link between the student and center, or institute, training sites and the labor market, as it accompanies the student throughout the various academic stages, through its various sections (guidance section, field training section & graduates follow up section).
Tasks of the Department of Vocational Guidance:
1. Assist trainees in discovering their interests, readiness and capabilities in the appropriate educational and vocational fields.
2. Prepare media materials to use them in the vocational awareness programs at the centers and institutes, or through the various audio-visual media means and evaluate these materials.
3. Produce informational portfolios, to use them in enlightening various related categories.
4. Supervise registration operations, holding of tests and interviews and issuance of result of trainees and job seekers.
5. Prepare field training plans and programs, in coordination with centers and institutes, in the light of the current and future needs and supervise this process.
6. Identify trainees` requirements for field training, in coordination with centers and institutes and follow up their performance after completing field training.
7. Provide consultative services to centers and institutes and assist them in planning their programs and developing their specializations, according to the needs of the labor market.
8. Coordinate with the concerned authorities at the Directorate General of Employment, in creating job opportunities for graduates, before and after training, according to their occupational specializations and levels.
9. Prepare and develop procedures, systems and legislations to regulate local occupational contests and the participation in Gulf and international contests.
Thirdly: Curricula and Assessment Department
The Curricula and Assessment Department is concerned with preparing and developing vocational programs and curricula, in accordance with the approved occupational standards and the requirements of the labor market, in coordination with the Occupational Standards and Testing Center (OSTC). The department comprises a number of sections (educational and vocational training section, fisheries and agricultural education curricula section, basic skill curricula section, assessment and testing section & English language section).
Tasks of the Curricula and Assessment Department:
1. Design training curricula, in line with the labor market needs.
2. Participate in preparing required occupational tests, to assess the output of the training process.
3. Participate in the preparation and adaptation of educational means and material used in various training programs at the vocational training centers.
4. Endorse the technical training curricula adopted by vocational training centers and fisheries training institutes and provide pertinent advice.
5. Draft and manage a single system for the assessment of the training process elements at the vocational training centers and fisheries training institutes.
6. Draft the basis, programs and qualification capabilities measurement standards for these who desire to join vocational training programs.
7. Draft a mechanism for certification at the various vocational levels.
8. Prepare a national system for testing and certification, in cooperation with the OSTC.
Conduct studies and research for the development of the assessment system, to ensure the best output of the training system.
H.E. Monir Almaskari
Under Secretary for TVET
News and Documents
Cluster Mashreq States
Back to top