Thematic Areas: Youth Employment | Greening TVET | Access, Equity & Quality | TVET in a Digital World | Further Themes
Our Key Programmes & Projects: i-hubs: Forming hubs for TVET Innovation | YEM: Youth Employment in the Mediterranean | BILT: Bridging Innovation and Learning in TVET | UNEVOC TVET Leadership Programme | WYSD: World Youth Skills Day
Past Activities: TVET Global Forums
UNEVOC Centre (Uni/Research) since 2007
The Centre for Technical Vocational Education, Training & Research (CETVETAR) is based in two Departments of University of Nigeria, Nsukka namely Departments of Vocational Teacher Education and Fine and Applied Arts. Fine and Applied Arts Department was established in 1961 while Department of Vocational Teacher Education was established by a special grant of Ford Foundation in 1963 for instituting leadership in Vocational Education in Nigeria. Both Departments were the first of their types to be established in the Nigerian University system. These Departments have been instrumental to the establishment of vocational education and fine/applied arts programmes in Universities all over the country and south east geo-political zone respectively.
The Centre runs training and retraining programmes for youths, TVET teachers women, pre-retiring staff and adults in different areas of skills’ need. These programmes are either for certificate and diploma level skills. At the instance of private establishments the Centre also conducts in-plant training programmes. At regular intervals, CETVETAR organises peer review and tutoring programmes meant to build the capacity of research fellows (Core staff of the Centre) and the University community. These programmes are also availed to small scale industrialists and entrepreneurs for updating their skills in managing their businesses. University undergraduates are equally afforded the opportunity of these programmes to upgrade their skills for self help such as, computer utilization, maintenance of domestic appliances among others.
Provide leadership in TVET in Africa by research into innovative/best practices, systems development, quality assurance, networking, training and human capital re-engineering.
The Vision: To be a world class Centre of excellence for life-long human capital development through technical vocational education and training (TVET)
The Objectives Include
1. Conduct training/retraining programmes in different areas of TVET for youths, retirees, women, and disadvantaged groups for skill empowerment and poverty reduction.
2. Offer undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in various areas of TVET subjects
3. Provide consultancy services to local, national and international agencies on best practices in informal, non-formal and formal TVET
4. Carry out advocacy/sensitization programmes on different issues and leading the policy direction on life-long TVET for achieving EFA and MDG goals.
5. Develop programmes for small/medium scale enterprises for optimal performance, quality assurance and global focus.
6. Networking and disseminating information on TVET to policy makers, academics, private and public sectors.
7. Collaboration with other agencies, centres and organisation with similar objectives of human capital development, entrepreneurship, poverty reduction and skill empowerment.
To achieve the above objectives, CETVETAR undertakes the following programmes:
I. Vocational Education and Training
1. Certificate and Programmes in Home Economics
a. Fashion Design and Clothing Management
b. Hair dressing and Beauty
c. Jewelry and Millinery Production
d. Interior Design
e. Toy Design and Production
f. Catering and Hotel management
g. Tourism and Hospitality Management
h. Confectionary and Snack Production
2. Certificate Programmes in Industrial Technology Education
a. Electrical Installation
c. Welding and Metal Fabrication
d. Cabinet Making
e. Wood turning/carving
f. Block/Bricklaying and Concreting
3. Farmers’ Skill Improvement Programmes
4. Business and Office Practice Skill Programmes
5. Information Communication Technology Skills Acquisition Programmes
6. Fine and Applied Art Programmes
II. Technical Vocational Teachers’ Professional Development Programme
III. Networking, Information Dissemination and Data Management on TVET
IV. Research and Product/Systems Development
V. Consultancy Services
|Sharing knowledge about TVET||Primary focus|
|Developing knowledge||Primary focus|
|Developing and building capacities||Primary focus|
|Policy makers||Primary focus|
|Private sector||Primary focus|
|Greening of TVET institutions and skills||Interested to contribute|
|Migration||Interested to learn|
|OER and Online Learning||Interested to learn|
|Equity of access in TVET||Interested to contribute|
|Gender equality in TVET||Interested to contribute|
|Fostering entrepreneurship||Interested to lead|
|Industry 4.0 / Smart production||Interested to learn|
|Capacity development projects||Highly interested|
|Policy oriented projects||Moderately interested|
|Knowledge development||Highly interested|
|Workshops and conferences||Highly interested|
|Within my cluster||Highly interested|
|With Africa||Highly interested|
|With the Arab States||Moderately interested|
|With Asia and the Pacific||Highly interested|
|With Europe, CIS and North America||Highly interested|
|With Latin America and the Caribbean||Highly interested|