Thematic Areas: Inclusion and Youth | Digital Transformation | Private Sector Engagement | SDGs and Greening TVET
Our Key Programmes & Projects: BILT: Bridging Innovation and Learning in TVET | Building TVET resilience | TVET Leadership Programme | WYSD: World Youth Skills Day
Past Activities: COVID-19 response | i-hubs project | TVET Global Forums | Virtual Conferences | YEM Knowledge Portal
Our Services & Resources: Publications | TVET Forum | TVET Country Profiles | TVETipedia Glossary | Innovative and Promising Practices | Entrepreneurial Learning Guide
Events: Major TVET Events | UNEVOC Network News
TVET system in Türkiye includes two main dimensions: theoretical (school training) and practical (in-company training). TVET policies and activities are mostly carried out by the Ministry of National Education (MoNE) within the framework of related laws and regulations. TVET, in cooperation with social and economic sectors, aims to raise qualified labor with national and international vocational competence and professional ethics and professional values, composed of innovative, entrepreneurial, and productive individuals contributing to the economy. Main objectives are; establishing a system which offers appropriate learning opportunities in accordance with the interests, abilities and temperaments of individuals, focusing on professional and work ethics, innovative, preparing individuals for employment, and being improved according to the needs of economic and social sectors and renewed continuously in cooperation with stakeholders.
In 2017-2018 academic year, a total of 5,689,427 students received education in secondary education. 1,987,282 of these students are in TVET. The formal education given within the scope of vocational and technical education is carried out in three types of schools: Vocational and Technical Anatolian High Schools, Multi-program Anatolian High Schools and Vocational Education Centers. Vocational and technical education within the scope of non-formal education is given in Vocational Open Education High Schools. Educational processes vary according to school types. Programs in 54 fields and 199 branches under these fields are being implemented in Vocational and Technical Anatolian High Schools. Programs in 27 fields and 142 branches under these fields are being implemented in Vocational Education Centers.
Priorities of TVET in Türkiye:
• Raise qualified labor in line with the requirements,
• Manage vocational and technical education with a participatory approach,
• Ensure that graduates are trained to participate in production,
• Continuously improve the vocational and technical education system and raise its quality,
• Prepare modular teaching programs in line with the requirements of the labor market,
• Ensure social and sectoral integration of education in order to increase efficiency and competitiveness in the economy,
• Provide individuals with necessary knowledge and skills required by a profession as well as competences for adapting to change,
• Educate students with an Ahi approach, which is the basis of our national culture, and with the relevant work ethics,
• Take an active part in the achievement of human oriented development by means of TVET
• Provide individuals with basic competences as well as high-level skills on information and communication technologies in specific areas along with the digitalization process.
MoNE’s mission is to meet the workforce demands of the economic and social sectors with vocational and technical education, to make those who want a profession, to train a workforce with professional competence in accordance with national and international standards, to develop and implement strategies and policies to make the profession valuable. Its vision is to be a leading institution with national and international professional competence, in cooperation with the social and economic sectors of the society, with national moral, professional values, creative, innovative, entrepreneurial, productive, competent workforce that adds value to the economy, and whose quality values have been formed.
For more information and further reading: http://mtegm.meb.gov.tr/meb_iys_dosyalar/2019_10/01115724_No1_Turkiyede_Mesleki_ve_Teknik_Egitimin_Gorunumu_ENG.pdf