Thematic Priorities: Skills anticipation | Work-based Learning | Digital skills mainstreaming | Entrepreneurship skills
YEM Countries: Algeria | Israel | Jordan | Lebanon | Libya | Morocco | Palestine | Tunisia
Knowledge Resources: Country Profiles | Data and Statistics | YEM Publications | Other useful resources
Monday, 15 June 2020 from 14:00 to 15:45 (GMT+3)
As part of the YEM Project, UNESCO is working with government agencies, private sector partners and civil society to strengthen national dialogue on future skills needs, and identify employment growth drivers. In this regard, and based on prior activities under the YEM project in Jordan, the tourism sector has been selected to be studied in terms of skills needed for its various jobs as the tourism sector has been the worst affected of all major economic sectors by the COVID-19 outbreak.
Focus and Objectives
The webinar is building on different national strategies and policies that have been developed as a roadmap to economic development and promotion of employment and quality of TVET in Jordan:
This webinar will explore the value chain of tourism sector, occupations, jobs and skills needed, shed the light on some future plans, and on previous initiatives as well as considering the voice of Youth and their concerns regarding skills and jobs in tourism sector.
The overall objectives of the webinar are:
1. Analysing the tourism sector with its qualification needs and emphasizing the important role of work-based-learning (WBL), digital and entrepreneurial skills
2. Highlighting previous measures and discussing future plans with stakeholders taking post- COVID-19 situation into account
3. Understanding the perspective of the young people concerned
4. The way forward: Expression of needs and support.
1. What is the impact of COVID – 19 on the tourism sector in Jordan, especially on skills and jobs and what do we learn from this situation?
2. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, what are the tourism sector plans in the short-/medium- and long-term? In which way have these planned activities being affected by the COVID-19 crisis?
3. What are the qualifications and skills needed in tourism sector in Jordan?
4. How can we include the perspective of the youth in planning programmes and initiatives?
Participants include representatives from key TVET stakeholders in Jordan. They represent the public sector (the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Vocational Training Corporation National Center for Human Resources Development, (NCHRD), TVET Skills Development Commission), the private sector (Tourism Sector Skills Council, Chamber of Industry and Commerce) Youth NGOs and Youth representatives, as well as Local and international NGOs
Technical specifications and language
The webinar uses Microsoft Teams Live as a technical platform. Participants do not require a Microsoft Teams account, but can connect as guest.
The working language of the webinar is English. Questions and comments will be accepted in Arabic, English, and French using the chat function.
We are looking forward to your participation in the webinar!
To join the meeting, please click on the following link: YEM-Webinar: Skills in the Tourism Sector in Jordan, Overview of the Challenges and needs after COVID-19
Cannot join the Webinar live?
The video recording of the webinar will be made available after the event.
Subscribe to the YEM Community of Practice to access the recording as well as share your questions and views on the YEM General Discussions thread.
Stay in touch